Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sikkim, India

Ann and I are taking a vacation in the cooler, northern part of India. We are in Sikkim, a part of India I knew nothing about before this trip. To the west is Nepal, to the east is Bhutan, and to the north is Tibet and China.


It is cloudy and cool, with temperatures in the 60s. There should be views of the Himalaya from here, but we haven't seen them yet because of fog and clouds. It's a relief after the daily 95 degrees we experienced in Bangalore.


Culturally, this is very different from South India. The population is predominantly Nepalese Hindus and Tibetan Buddhists. There is a lot of Chinese influence here (the Chinese food is better than the Indian.) When we see Indians in traditional dress, they are tourists, like us. People are pretty laid back.


I cannot post photographs from this part of our trip. But I do have some photographs from earlier in our trip. There are three of them, grouped by subject: Markets, People and Kids. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Hey Chris and Ann,

    Good to see that you are enjoying the north-east. Today was polling day and like a good Indian citizen I went and voted. Also, the weather here has cooled down considerably since you left with rain almost every day.

    Enjoy maadi and I'll see that your bags reach you with a couple of additions ;-)

    Roopa

    ReplyDelete