What follows is my notes about taking pictures of kids. Feel free to skip all this and go directly to the slide show of the kids.
Slide show of Kids
When I walk down the street carrying a camera, kids invariably approach me and ask me to take their picture. Sometimes they want to see the picture, and other times they don't. Sometimes they're in a car or a bus or across the street, and they still ask me. I usually take it even if I know it won't turn out well. They appreciate it. But I have taken so many at this point, that I will turn down some kids, thinking to myself, "You've got to be cuter than that to get in my photo album!" That's usually when I'm tired and just want to get somewhere.
Typically, a couple of kids come up to me and then a bunch more arrive until it becomes a mob scene. They all want to get in the picture, and often put a hand in the way. The pictures don't come out well, but they're having a good time. They usually ask my name, where I'm from, and then often want to shake my hand. Once, they clamored for my autograph! Finally, I have to walk away waving "goodbye."
When I see kids, I smile and wave at them and they wave back. It's especially fun to do this when they're in a car, because they're usually bored and enjoy the excitement of seeing a westerner.
Kids know how to pose, but they're often reluctant to smile. Sometimes I use my fingers to lift the corners of my mouth into a smile, and that usually works. They respond better when I'm using the LCD on the camera rather than looking through the eyepiece where my face is blocked by the camera.
I have relatively few candid (non-posed) shots. That requires getting kids to forget that I'm there, and that's not easy. I want to work on that.
I've really enjoyed taking these pictures. While I think I have some good ones, it's the kids themselves that make the picture, not me.
Enjoy!
Slide Show
Slide show of Kids
When I walk down the street carrying a camera, kids invariably approach me and ask me to take their picture. Sometimes they want to see the picture, and other times they don't. Sometimes they're in a car or a bus or across the street, and they still ask me. I usually take it even if I know it won't turn out well. They appreciate it. But I have taken so many at this point, that I will turn down some kids, thinking to myself, "You've got to be cuter than that to get in my photo album!" That's usually when I'm tired and just want to get somewhere.
Typically, a couple of kids come up to me and then a bunch more arrive until it becomes a mob scene. They all want to get in the picture, and often put a hand in the way. The pictures don't come out well, but they're having a good time. They usually ask my name, where I'm from, and then often want to shake my hand. Once, they clamored for my autograph! Finally, I have to walk away waving "goodbye."
When I see kids, I smile and wave at them and they wave back. It's especially fun to do this when they're in a car, because they're usually bored and enjoy the excitement of seeing a westerner.
Kids know how to pose, but they're often reluctant to smile. Sometimes I use my fingers to lift the corners of my mouth into a smile, and that usually works. They respond better when I'm using the LCD on the camera rather than looking through the eyepiece where my face is blocked by the camera.
I have relatively few candid (non-posed) shots. That requires getting kids to forget that I'm there, and that's not easy. I want to work on that.
I've really enjoyed taking these pictures. While I think I have some good ones, it's the kids themselves that make the picture, not me.
Enjoy!
Slide Show
No comments:
Post a Comment