Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Prejudices, preconceived ideas and cultural biases

India. It looms large in my mind. More than one billion people: by 2035 it will overtake China as the most populous country on the planet. Poverty: 350 million people live on less than $1 US per day. It is the birthplace of Hinduism and Buddhism, two religions of non-violence. It is the country that produced Mahatma Gandhi.

Mahatma Gandhi. I have admired his dedication to non-violence since I discovered him in college. His writings have affected me in many ways. He is the historical figure that I would most like to meet, to talk to, and to learn from. I have long wanted to go to India to follow his footsteps. I hope to learn more about Gandhi from the people of India.

My visions of this country are shaped by two movies: “Gandhi” and “Slumdog Millionaire.” They are two very different, wonderful movies that provide a tantalizing taste of the country. I don’t know how accurate they are, but I understand that Indians generally like them. Will I find the India of either of these movies?

I have had many friends and co-workers from India. (I hope some are reading this now.) Without exception, I have found them open and friendly. I hope to meet people like them in India.

India is a poor country where labor is cheap. We will have a (male) housekeeper who will come to clean once a day. Before we arrived, he was sleeping on a mat in the kitchen of a 3-bedroom apartment. Why would he sleep on the floor? Why wouldn’t he have separate accommodations? These are questions from my Western-conditioned mind. Trying to have him sleep in a bed would be impossible and (probably) offensive. We won’t be comfortable with him in the apartment and he is moving out. Have we just made someone homeless? (We don’t think so, but…) Why do we want a 3-bedroom apartment to ourselves? We can accept hired help, perhaps even servants, but we don’t think of them as anything less than us. Yet we’re still uncomfortable…

Poverty. How will I deal with so many poor people? I, an American, am absurdly wealthy. Giving someone $1 means little to me but would be so much to someone else. Yet I am ethically opposed to giving “handouts;” I’d rather address the causes than the symptoms. In the US, I am used to homeless people asking for money. I have learned that they deserve dignity as human beings, and not as inanimate objects on the street. When asked for money I look them in the eye and say, “No, I’m sorry.” Most often they respond with “OK. Have a nice day”, to which I respond in kind. Is that an appropriate response in India? Probably not. There are so many people asking for money and I’m afraid that giving to one will make it harder not to give to another.

I have a great deal to learn from India. And I think I will have a great deal to un-learn as well.

2 comments:

  1. Be careful with the giving. You will be surrounded in less than 3 minutes after you started. Also watch your money while you do it. Some would just snatch it and run. You know who telling you this right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was there in 1980, we were cautioned against giving any money, especially US currency - told it would end up on the black market and was illegal.

    Also heard that "Hinduism" was a blanket term used by the British that covered many, many different religions.

    Sound like a great experience!

    ReplyDelete